Meals For Moms

Lettering By: Lindsay @lindsaylettering




I had just finished gathering up everyone into the car so we could drive 20 minutes to deliver a meal to a mom we didn't know. After we delivered the meal and climbed back into the car my oldest son said, "this was so boring." He was honestly speaking up and expressing his opinion. My kids know I'm always open to hearing their feelings and opinions. However, I'll also do my best to take advantage of every teaching moment. So, as we drove home, I reflected with my son and was honest right back.

The thing is, in this situation, I totally agreed with my son. It was boring. I also know my family will be pulling for my attention at all moments of the day. Why not gather them up and postpone meeting their needs and desires in order to show them the needs of others. Show them how to move beyond themselves and help meet the needs of others. Show them it won't be easy and even admit it along the way. Then point out how we will be stretched, challenged and maybe a little bored BUT also blessed as we prepare and deliver this meal. I can move beyond teaching to showing my children what "love your neighbor" looks like.    

Making dinner for my own family is hard enough. Bringing a meal to another family? Yeeeeah, that is inviting more chaos into the already crazy. Don't get me wrong, I actually love bringing meals to friends, family and people I don't even know. AND I know it won't necessarily be easy. However, if we skip an opportunity to serve and pour out love to someone else just because it will be difficult, we miss out on so much more. We are being given an opportunity to shine His light into someone's challenges. A chance to look up from our own struggles and hold someone's hand through theirs. It was boring driving across town to deliver a meal. However, it can move beyond boredom and become a teaching moment for our children through actions of love for others.

Its also another way for moms to sick together like a team. We're out on that "field" working hard and we need each other. If bringing a meal is one more way to shower His light and help a mom in need, I'll try to make that extra effort. I'll try and put into practice what I would want others to do for me. May you also feel His love guiding your heart too...gently nudging you to do more for others through something as simple as a meal. May we all work together at encouraging others on this team. "Go, team mom!"



Meal Tips:

1) Double what you're already making for your family. I'll usually freeze casseroles ahead of time so they're ready for deliver when the need arises.
2) Keep an easy meal on hand like the makings for meatball sandwiches, frozen veggies and French fries!
3) Request that you make the meal deliver earlier in the day to avoid driving your family around at dinner time.
4) Bonus: Include an encouraging note to the family

I would love to hear your ideas too. Please share in the comments below!!!



For More Child Development Ideas and Encouragement Be Sure To Subscribe or visit me here: 
Instagram: @at_home_with_kids


To subscribe: Click "Subscribe" on my Home page. Fill in your info and wait for an email from "Feed Burner" to confirm your subscription. 

Thanks For Stopping By!


Comments

  1. Great post! My kids often don't understand how bringing a meal can be a blessing to both the receiver and the giver! Great tips! One thing I like to do is to bring everything in disposable containers so the family doesn't have to worry about returning anything! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dawn!!! I know years down the road my kids will remember AND I know they'll remember being on the receiving end as well! Good tip on bringing disposable containers!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story