When Your Kids Are Sick


A Book I Referred To Several Times As a First Time Mom

I was brought out of my slumber once again by a sick child moaning "mamma" in their bed. We are currently in week four where one or more members have been sick. So, this has inspired my current blog post. Typically it is no fun having sick children. However, in some cases, it truly is a blessing. I'm seeing this season as a blessing because its slowing my children down for a time and me as well. You know Psalms 23? Well, I've been reflecting on this verse as I care for our household's health.


 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.

Did you catch that? "He MAKES me lie down..." Have you ever thought of sickness as something He brings to make us lie down? As a mom I know my plate can become full quickly and I just keep moving. Its hard to just sit and be still; to lie down in green pastures. While being sick isn't necessarily green pastures, it can be the stillness we need. Stillness from schedules and business. Typically I'm full speed with four children. While 3 of the 4 kids have been sick, its actually become the much needed break I needed. It also means I've needed to get creative with our cleaning and sanitizing so we can overcome this month long sickness. So, I've put together a list of tips and tricks I've practiced over the years when I'm at home with sick kids. Keep in mind, I don't complete this entire list every time my kids are sick. I complete what is manageable depending on the severity because I want to rest too!

Giving Distractions:
- Portable DVD player: this way the sick child can rest in private away from the main living space to avoid exposing others. If we're experiencing the flu, I often set this up on the bathroom counter and that becomes the child's space. 
- Open the windows and give them a view and some fresh air.
- Read to them. I would have frequent headaches as a child and I still remember closing my eyes to the sound of my mom reading to me.



Providing Comfort:

- Keep medicine handy, organized and dispensers clean. For my children that can't stomach the liquid medicine and are unable to swallow a pill yet, I'll provide the chewable version. It tends to be more expensive but its worth it. Of course, always consult a Dr. to know what is best for your child.




- Food: b
ananas, apple sauce, plain rice or toast is great fuel for them! Its called the BRAT diet.
- Think of what you appreciate when you're sick. For me, I don't like being left alone. So, hold your child or sit next to them! I also love a good back rub. So, love on your little one with some good
long strokes.
- Soak in Water: A nice soak in a warm bath feels so refreshing when you're not feeling well.
- Fresh flowers: I love fresh flowers even on gloomy sick days. So, cut some fresh flowers and bring them indoors. They bring cheer to the atmosphere when others aren't feeling well.



Keeping it Sanitized: we're all familiar with "wash your hands and cough into your elbow" but here are some other ideas I try to implement - (not necessarily all of these during a single bout of sickness)


  • Rest on yoga mats - most can be easily cleaned with a Clorox wipe!
  • Switch to paper towels. Stop using hand towels during the illness to avoid spreading the germs. Each child also has their own color coordinated bath towel. These are used for drying their hands as well.  
  • Keep hand sanitizer nearby for times when you can't wash your hands right away.
  • Only provide easy clean toys: balls, board books, blocks, etc. Avoid toys with nooks and crannies like Legos, puzzles, toy phones, etc. 
  • Utilize baby gates to contain the child to one area...preferably where there is no carpet (just in case)! We use our baby gates to create a barrier for little ones that don't understand this sickness stuff yet.   
  • Have the child wear a diaper. If your child is still very young, no use putting yourself through more cleanup than necessary.
  • Throw out reusable straws. these are almost impossible to keep clean. A good friend reminded me of this when her family continued to pass strep throat around.
  • Throw out your kitchen sponge and temporarily use a wash cloth that is replaced daily. A sponge becomes a breading ground for bacteria.
  • Clean toys that are mouthed: run them through the top rack of the dish washer by themselves.
  • Soak those reusable water bottle caps and sippy cup lids in hydrogen peroxide and then run them through the dishwasher.  
  • Spray the air with Lysol. Remove the children from the room while the spray settles, open the windows and turn on the ceiling fans. Spray the Lysol throughout the space and get the air moving and sanitized!
  • Disinfect the toilets. Even if you only have the energy to dump a cup of bleach in and let it sit; do that.
  • Toothbrushes: Typically we will replace them once the child is well. During the sickness, we soak toothbrushes in hydrogen peroxide. Also, Clorox anything toothbrushes may touch (including the toothpaste tube). Better yet, have each person in the house use their own toothpaste! We store our toothbrushes in separate compartments using a drawer organizer. During sickness, toothbrushes are removed and the organizer is cleaned.





       Use A Clorox Wipe For:

  • The piano keys. If you have a piano and small children, they most likely enjoy "playing" a tune or two. When was the last time it was cleaned?!!!
  • Windows. My kids are always smearing their face and hands across our sliding glass door. Yuck.
  • Chairs. We use our barstools daily as well as booster seats. These are usually used during hand to mouth activities like eating. So, chairs need a good wipe down.
  • Door knobs, light switches and door frames 
  • The refrigerator handles and water/ice dispenser buttons and press. The mouth of cups touch this dispenser several times a day!  Ewe.
  • The sides and rungs of cribs and beds. 
  • Sink faucets and soap dispensers
  • Lunch pails and reusable lunch bags
  • All hand-held electronics (ipads, game remotes, tv remotes, phones, computer key board, etc.). Refer to the care description of certain electronics before doing this. 
This list is meant to support you not overwhelm you. Again, I only complete what is manageable depending on the severity (and if I'm the one sick...nothing is done). This month has brought lots of sickness to our home and lots of brainstorming on my part to help bring health back! I needed to save these thoughts and share them with others that may face the same struggles. So, if your kids are healthy, this list can be set aside for later because germs are actually a good thing for kiddos to come in contact with from time to time.

As you read this, I hope you're well and enjoying this gorgeous May weather. As I wait for healthier days,
I'm trying to be still and currently enjoy these slow mornings while also trying to snuggle the sick ones and embrace our isolation. If you're sick or well, may you remember the Lords promise of rest and claim these moments in motherhood as an opportunity to be still and (of course) accept help when its offered.


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.


You May Also Be Interested In:

To subscribe: scroll to the bottom of your phone feed, click on "web version" and you'll see a white box to the write. Fill in your info and wait for an email from "Feed Burner" to confirm your subscription.

Thanks For Stopping By!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

DIY Outdoor Play Kitchen

Making Your Marriage a Priority