Doctor Visits With Little Kids

Doctor visits with little kids can be stress and anxiety producing. It doesn't have to be though! I have to admit I'm not one that gets excited about going to the Doctor with little ones in tow and I do still struggle with anxiety around it. However, with four kids I've gained a lot of experience doing it and my children have too!

When I was pregnant with my second, my oldest son came with me to all my prenatal appointments! That's right, me flat on the table and a toddler on the lose in the exam room. It did not always go smoothly but he gained some great skills in waiting and entertaining himself. Now, at almost 10 years old, he is my helping hands with the younger ones.

My oldest are 7 and 9 and my youngest are 2 and 3 years old. Here are some tips and ideas that may help your next Doctor trip be a success!

Easing The Anxiety:

* PRAY!!! Pray and ask others to pray for you. I can't tell you how many times this has relieved my anxiety. The Dr. visit may not have been easy but I was left at peace in the task knowing others were praying for me.

* Talk with them ahead of time about what is going to happen. Depending on the child, this may cause even more anxiety. Maybe they are slow to adapt and they need to know 1 week beforehand. On the other hand, your child may just need to know right beforehand so they don't spend the whole week worrying about it.

* Incorporate it into your play. Set up a Doctor office in your child's play space and do some role playing. There are some great Dr. Games like Operation by Hasbro or these items from Fisher Price shown below.


Avoiding The Germs:

* Bring a Stroller! Not all kids are ok just sitting in a stroller but here are some activities that might keep them there:
           * after checking in, tell the receptionist that you'll be walking them around right     
             outside. Most offices will offices will accommodate and come to where you are      
             when your name is called. of course an older child can walk around outside without
             stroller.
           * Sing hand songs with them! Don't worry about what others might think! if anything,
             they're gaining some great ideas from you!

* Bring Your Own Pen: You can use this for signing in and filling out paperwork. Who knows how many sick people of picked up the pens at the doctor office?!!!! EWE!

* Bring your own books or busy toys to keep them entertained.

Bring Your Own Books

* If the office toys can't be avoided, bring your own sanitizing wipes so you can clean them.
I always carry a container in my car.

* Wash everyone's hands immediately after the Doctor visit or carry hand sanitizer.


Shot or Blood Work: I think this is where the anxiety stems from. We also follow a modified vaccine schedule (but that's a whole other topic).

* I'm all about being honest. I tell my kids if they're getting a shot or blood drawn. I also tell them why. This is going to be happening to their body and they deserve to know. Again, you adjust this based on your child's temperament.

* Don't share if you're anxious or nervous. They will pick up on that and mirror your behavior. I will bring my kids with me if I need a shot just so they can witness it without always feeling like the victim.

* Simply use this opportunity as a learning environment. This is their learning space for the day. Point out what they see and try to relate it to their current knowledge. For example: the tension band that they need to place on the upper arm to find the vein; compare it to a bracelet, talk about how it feels and let them touch it before its placed. Let them hold a glove or even try to put one on.

* Having blood work done is a tough one! Make sure your child has had plenty of fluid. This may make it easier to find the vein.

* Give them something to hold that is usually off limits. Sometimes this can distract them just enough from the poke that's about to occur.

* Provide counter pressure somewhere else on their body. I usually give their thigh a firm squeeze as the needle is going in. I honestly believe this helps as the neurons are firing "pain, pain" to their brain.

                    The last time my two toddlers had to give blood they didn't cry at all!!! 
Holding Lip Gloss As A Distraction

Other Random Tips:

* Schedule the appointment between meals and after the child has rested. Always plan a snack just in case.

* Bring another helping hand if you can. In my case, its often another sibling. The support of another sibling is sometimes more powerful then a parent.
The Support Of A Sibling

Let this be a learning opportunity that isn't laced with fear or anxiety. May you feel the Lord providing you with strength and fun with your child. Then don't forget to reward yourself and your child afterward.





Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank You!!! Its all still a learning experience every time we go! The visits are now getting few and far between and each time the kids are at a different stage!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

DIY Outdoor Play Kitchen