Support For The Active Child



Our youngest son rarely has two feet planted on the ground at the same time. His motion is usually a run, jump or skip. Asking him to walk is like asking me to stop eating chocolate. Slowing down is so very hard for him. Being active is simply part of his temperament. In my own simplified words, temperament consists of personal characteristics that you are born with. These characteristics can be molded in different ways depending on how you're raised and/or life circumstances. Our temperament determines how we will respond to experiences and events in our lives. One of our little guy's temperamental characteristics is being highly active and today his preschool teacher needed to talk with me about it.

Our son is still learning how to appropriately express his excitement and energy level. Often times this excitement sends adrenaline through him and the result usually entails touching, hitting and pushing anything that moves. This type of behavior from a one year old may seem cute but, at almost 4 years old, its becoming obvious he needs extra support. So, as I pondered my discussion with his preschool teacher, I decided to just write down my thoughts. Below, I've pulled together what we have implemented to support our little guy as he learns to navigate through his high activity levels appropriately. Most of these activities can be a great way to "reset" a child's brain and support them in refocusing and using their energies appropriately. Keep in mind "active" children are different from one another. So, not all will respond well with the following ideas. These are simply methods that work for our little guy.


1) Separation: Sometimes all a child needs is separation from the current situation or the people. For our son, this means we stop the activity being pursued until he can calm down. This also means we may separate ourselves for a set time. Sometimes that is mommy taking a break in her room or he takes a break in his room until we're ready to be reunited.

2) Table Time Activities: During these activities there are two guidelines. First, you need to be sitting at the peninsula (counter) in the kitchen or the dining room table. The second guideline is using gentle touching and there is no throwing. When I sense that our 3 year old needs extra boundaries, I suggest a table activity to engage his interest. Usually this is a perfect way to "reset" his behavior and support him in being ready to listen and obey. Some of these activities have included: baby washing, dominos, pipe cleaners, pom pom balls and small containers, wine corks, coins and containers, etc.

3) Massage/pressure: Assess what your child can manage when it comes to massage. Our 4 year old does not like a back rub but he benefits from leg and arm squeezes. This is typically done right before nab/bedtime as he lays in his room. One at a time I apply pressure by grasping and squeezing down the whole length of each arm and leg. Lastly, one at a time, I flex his hands and feet by gently keeping his knee or elbow from bending and pressing his hands and feet back and forth several times. This was an uncomfortable practice at first, but now he is enjoying the benefits of stretching tight muscles.

4) Rough House: Most boys have a natural desire to roll around on the ground with someone, tickling, jumping and screaming. So, giving them an outlet for these desires will be such a gift for them. I have to be honest, this is my least favorite activity. I don't enjoy being climbed on, tickled or my hair accidently being pulled. So, this is usually my husbands department. However, I have come up with an activity I like to call "quality meat check." In this activity my little guys lay down in my lap (or on the floor in front of me) and I "check" the quality of meat in front of me. How do you check the quality of meat? You poke, tenderize (massage), season (tickle), shake (roll them around), and finally taste it (blow little raspberries on their bellies).

5) Sensory Fun: Place sand, dried beans, play dough, shaving cream, etc. in front of our little guy and he is focused. After much practice in appropriate exploration with these items, his body relaxes with sensory activities. He is my sensory seeker. So, actvities that allow him to touch, smell and taste, are all things that can create the "reset" he may need. So, snacks and eating are totally in this category too!!!

6) Taking a Walk (in the stroller or independently): The goal in this activity is to simply change scenes. Sometimes all that is needed to modify a behavior is going outside. So, we'll take walks hand-in-hand. If we're too tired, the stroller or bike trailer is also an option.

7) Baths: Warm baths can help calm tired muscles and sooth a tense body. Our son is just now comfortable laying completely down in the bath. This has been so therapeutic for him as he becomes "weightless" in this tub of water.

8) Prayer: Last, but certainly not least, is prayer. We ultimately need to shower these little ones in prayer as we navigate how to best support their individuality and guide their hearts in the right direction. AND we need to pray for ourselves as we lean into to strength from above to parent these little rascals.
Photo Credit: My Sister-In-Law

When supported by an understanding and patient caregiver or parent, a child's individuality can  blossom and thrive. There are many days when I fail in this area. Fail BIG time. Then there are days when I've met my children right where they're at. When I've scooped them up and showered them with the love of Christ. I know this is probably true for you too. So, may you know that Christ has made each of your children unique and for His purpose and may you have confidence knowing He has chosen you to parent them.

Please share ideas that have proven successful for you in the comments.


For More Child Development Ideas and Encouragement Be Sure To Subscribe or visit me here: 
Instagram: @at_home_with_kids

To subscribe: Click "Subscribe" on my Home page. Fill in your info and wait for an email from "Feed Burner" to confirm your subscription. 

Thanks For Stopping By!

Comments

  1. We got our boys a trampoline this summer (with an enclosure) and my son loves to jump but especially he loves to jump with me! It's a way I can get some extra exercise, and I can also connect with him and get his wiggles out. - Amber Dahl (to live with Christ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Amber! A trampoline is a perfect activity to get those wiggles out!!! We don't have a large one but I do have an exercise trampoline. I need to pull that out more often!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story