He Calls Me to Rest


I'm really not a fan of new year resolutions because, honestly, two months into the year I've either completely walked away from the idea OR just plain forgot what I even resolved to do. So, when a good friend of mine "subtly" kept nudging me to choose JUST a word for the year, I was intrigued and decided to take on the challenge of choosing a word AND bringing my whole family along with me.

When presenting the idea to the kids, at first they didn't understand. "Pick a word? Why?" So, in simple terms I explained that the word chosen would be something to help guide them in their actions, behavior or decisions throughout the year. The word would serve as a reminder when you work, play and relate to others. A light popped on and my oldest immediately says, "video games. I want my word to be video games." Not wanting to discourage his process of "choosing a word challenge," I asked him a question: "What do you like about video games to choose it for your word of the year?" He pauses and says, "They're just fun." We revisited the topic in the days to follow and I'm excited to say we ALL picked our own word for the new year. And I'm happy to write that "video games" isn't one of them.

As New Years Eve approached; the word for me would be REST. He whispers my name and calls me to rest. Matthew 11:28 says, "come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." There are several areas in my life that could use some rest. First, simply making the time to slow down and sit more. Often times, sitting requires a posture of waiting and (perhaps) even listening. Sitting or stopping while my kids talk to me; encourages more eye contact and actually being a participant in the conversation. Sitting means I have stopped moving and might just notice the beauty around me or just the freckles on my kids' faces. Secondly, I would like to rest in the Lord's arms by reading the Bible and praying more...to crave the Word more and find myself picking it up throughout the day. Lastly, in my quest for rest...to ask and accept help more. I am blessed with friends and family that are always willing to lend their time BUT if there is not humblility enough to reach out and use it; it becomes an unopened gift. So, rest will be intentionally sitting more, reading the Word and being ok with needing help.


Rest is a fluid word when it comes to a momma with little kids. You gotta get creative with how and when that rest comes. So, when I chose the word, I knew it would be hard. New Years Eve came and my intention was to sit, have a family cooked meal and celebrate the new year with chocolate fondue, sparkling cider, and conversations about our words for the year. The Lord directed the night a lot differently as strange symptoms that had been lingering all week for me increased into difficulty swallowing and huge amounts of pressure and pain in my chest. What we thought would be a restful night at home, ended up being a long emergency room visit. As the last few days have unfolded, I'm realizing my goals in practicing rest isn't simply something I want but its something I need.

As I move through the process of figuring out this mysterious occurrence in my body, I'm finding that my body needs me to sit and stop right now. As I headed to the emergency room that night, I quickly texted one of my best friends to be praying. She did more than just pray; she met me in the parking lot and sat with me in emergency until she knew I was in good hands. While sitting in the emergency room I was scared and clung to the Lord's arms...seeking peace, asking for healing, reciting His promises. Pulling my Bible from my purse, I literally hugged it to my chest and waited. And as I sit here writing this, I'm realizing all my goals around resting were met in that cold and scary space. There was nothing I could do but sit, I accepted the loving presence of my friend AND I clung to the Bible. Now, back at home, I'm trying my best to keep that same pace and I'm happy to write, our family finally had the chance to talk about our words for the year.

We sat around the table and decorated our words and shared...and the 4 and 3 year old are just for a good laugh. 

The Hubs:
Brandish
"How will I brandish the sword (my faith) this year? My goal is to brandish my faith in responsible but evident ways. Brandish my faith by virtue of memorized scripture used to encourage others. Not brandish my pride or ego by exercising humility at all times."

The 10 yr. Old:
Challenge
"I'm going to challenge myself to catch long passes in football. I also want to get better at math."


The 7 yr. Old:
Word
"My word is word cause I can share God's word."


The 4 yr. old: "bajamas (pajamas) because I will love pajamas."
I love this word because it reminds me of comfort. So, if he chose it for that...I don't mind focusing more on snuggles, rest and pajama time as we move through year 2018.

The 3 yr. old: "Candy Cane for the Christmas"
Who knows why she chose this word...because she likes them?...she wants to be just as sweet?...the reason is a mystery AND just 3 yr. old cuteness! However, throughout year 2018 she'll definitely be contributing to its sweetness just like a candy cane.  

As year 2018 unfolds, I'm looking forward to unwrapping these gifts of words a little more each day in the weeks and months ahead. I hope we have several opportunities to revisit them and assess how we're meeting up to the challenge. AND I fully intend on keeping these words going strong throughout the year instead of being forgotten like SO MANY New Years Resolutions. As you move through this new year, may you feel the gentle nudge from the Lord to rest, be challenged and maybe even brandish some bravery to pick your own word too.



Sharing the joys of Childhood to inspire the fun in parenting.

Instagram: @at_home_with_kids

To subscribe: Click "Subscribe" on my Home page. Fill in your info and wait for an email from "Feed Burner" to confirm your subscription. 

Thanks For Stopping By!


Comments

  1. Love this! What a great idea to include your family! I will be praying for you and for your health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn!!! I wasn't sure how the kids would respond and It'll be fun to see how their words develop throughout the years...that is if we can keep this going every year (insert wink emoji).

      Delete
  2. I love your chosen word- rest. I know mine for this year is joy.
    That’s wonderful that you included your family. Yes M is a sweet as a candy cane! 💕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story