Thrifting

Oh the thrill of the hunt in thrifting!!! I say thrill of the hunt because I often go into thrift stores knowing what I'm looking for. Searching through the unknown and experiencing excitement when you have success is so energizing for me. Yup. Thrift hunting.  On any given day I will 80% of the time be wearing a treasure I found at a thrift store. During my restart series I discussed my love for this hobby. If you're feeling discouraged as a mom or wife, then you just might need a restart (for the first post in that series click here). In that post I also promised a future post on thrifting tips. So here is a simple list of tips I've compiled. Hopefully it will inspire current thrifters (is that a word?) and newbies alike.

My thrift store shopping tips:

1) Shop with others. When you shop with others and know what each of you are looking for; more eyes = better success. 

2) Know what you're looking for. Try going in knowing a few items you're looking for. Going into thrift stores can be overwhelming because they're not always organized well. If you go in with a focus on what you're looking for; the challenge might not be as intense. Also, search during the off season. For example, if you are looking for snow gear, go to thrift stores during the warm months. Most people are not thinking about snow when its 100 degrees outside.

3) Visit privately owned stores. I usually find better deals at privately owned thrift stores. Although I love stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army; I love supporting small businesses even better.
BCBG Pumps For $8

4) Visit Coastal thrift stores. These stores tend to receive cast offs from individuals with possibly a little more money. "Beach living is expensive so you must have more money if you live there, right?" In my own personal experience, this has increased my chances of finding name brand/quality items. Some items I've found: two pairs of Micheal Kors' children's shoes for $1 each, $10 NEW Anne Klein woman's bathing suite, corduroy jacket $1, Sanuk loafers $5, BDBG red pumps $8...

5) Be familiar with special deals of the day. Like our local Salvation Army does 1/2 off kids clothes on Thursdays. Kids grow so quickly!! So, paying full price for all their clothing isn't appealing to me. I find great deals on children's clothes at 2nd hand stores!


Utensil and Napkin Holder to Hair Organizer

6) Think outside the box. I love repurposing items; especially when it comes to organizing. Like this utensil and napkin caddy (left) I scored for $4!

I bought it to use as an under the sink storage for some of my hair essentials!
Kids' Toothbrushes Hidden In A Drawer

Or this awesome sliding utensil holder I turned into a tooth care item drawer organizer!









7) Go often. This for sure will increase your chances of success. I love my random stops into thrift stores. You won't have success every time and that's ok!!


8) Think sentimental. When you find something special that reminds you of childhood or a special family member; it might be worth the splurge. I was just talking to a very good friend about this yesterday. She just found a set of large wooden utensils that she remembers as kitchen décor when she was a child. Now its beautiful décor in her own kitchen!  
$6 Fisher Price Airport

     One particular sentimental item I look for are old Fisher Price toys. You know the ones from the late 70s and early 80s? The ones that I played with as a child and are now showing up in antique stores! Antique? What? I'm not that old yet! Anyway...I've developed a collection of these items. Some of these treasure are from Ebay and antique stores. However, I have quickly learned that most thrift store buyers are not going in looking for used toys. So, these individuals aren't willing to pay the hefty price Ebay goers pay. So, one way thrift store owners ensure these items move off the shelves: sell them cheap!!! One time I scored a Fisher Price Airport for $6!!!

Thrifting makes me happy. I love filling my home with items that I can transform and repurpose without the large price tag. Thanks for reading up on my tips and may you enjoy the thrill of the hunt too!!!
















    Comments

    1. Awesome tips! That means we need to go thrift shopping soon!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yes! A planned activity for Sunday School maybe?

      ReplyDelete
    3. Ok you are my kind of lady I absolutely love the thrill of a good bargin, my guest is you love going to garage sells as well. You Jesus, and have a big family, blog for women and thirfting.❤

      ReplyDelete
    4. Ok you are my kind of lady I absolutely love the thrill of a good bargin, my guest is you love going to garage sells as well. You Jesus, and have a big family, blog for women and thirfting.❤

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

    Through Your Child's Eyes

    Our Adoption Story