Kids Learn By Doing



Do you have shadows that follow you around during the day? You know the ones that are eagerly
watching every move you make? The shadows that want to be there when you use the restroom, take a shower, and fix dinner? The little people shadows. These little shadows can close in on my personal bubble REAL fast. I struggle with having a pleasant attitude when my littles are stuck like glue on me.

On one particular morning (similar to most mornings) we had just finished breakfast, cleaned up, and had our regular protesting fits about getting dressed. So, I planted myself in front of the sink to decompress while washing dishes and scrubbing the counter really, really, really hard. Then my little people surrounded my feet and just said "momma" at random times as I tried to manipulate around them. They're right next to me ALL THE TIME! So, from my mouth comes, "I need you to walk away and go play" or "please leave me alone right now." I have to admit, when I'm trying to complete a household task, this is my response most of the time. However, the Lord is showing me
a different way. A better way.





Last night I readied the littles for bed, and when all our tasks were complete, my youngest son immediately climbed into bed. I was thrilled with this obedience because now I could quickly head out the bedroom and accomplish my own tasks that had been put off all day (well, lets be honest...all week...month). Then it suddenly came to me, could I be different and allow him back out of bed to help me in these tasks? Yes. Yes I could. AND yes I did. His face lit up and he initially hesitated in his movements. I reassured him with an outstretched hand as I helped him out of bed. Together we vacuumed and tomorrow maybe we'll dust.



While these shadows can become annoying at times (well lets be honest, ALOT of times), they're simply watching and ready to learn. They want to be a part of our world and are interested in what we are doing. Forget the hot wheel cars, stuffed animals and games in the bedrooms; these little hands and feet want to do what we do. Even with the knowledge gained with my Masters in Early Childhood and my years of experience working with children, I still struggle with implementing this. They want to participate and I just want to be left alone. While alone time is important, when I bring my kids beside me, they're receiving something important too.

These shadows are learning and growing while they follow me around. However, when I allow them
to join in, they are being given a gift of togetherness rather than separation, acceptance rather than
annoyance and freedom rather than more boundaries. May you see the little feet ready to learn and
participate beside you and may you feel the Lord slowing you down enough to notice. I know when
my kids follow me around, I'll think twice before I send them away...unless of course I'm in the bathroom.


For More Child Development Ideas and Encouragement Be Sure To Subscribe or visit me here: 
Instagram: @at_home_with_kids


To subscribe: Click "Subscribe" on my Home page. Fill in your info and wait for an email from "Feed Burner" to confirm your subscription. 

Thanks For Stopping By!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story