Be Intentional

As we enter into 2017 my New Years resolution is to be intentional in my interactions with my children. Since our interactions mostly occur within routines; this will be where I start being the most intentional. When I hear the word routine. I automatically think about performing in a dance recital or playing an instrument in front of an audience. However, in this case I'm talking about the events that occur on a daily basis with my children. When these routines are practiced with intention, its showing my children how to interact with others appropriately and with purpose. This is where learning begins; within routines. 

Routines are in almost every moment of the day for children (and really for adults too). According to The Program for Infant and Toddler Care, routines take up 80% of the day! The major routines for young children include events like eating, dressing, diapering and toileting. Sometimes, it can be tempting to rush through these rich activities so we can move on to the next thing. I have to remind myself often that huge amounts of learning occur within these events. As I discuss each of these, keep in mind routines are influenced by an individuals culture. The goals around each routine as well as how each routine is performed will be different for each family. However, no matter the culture, the child can learn and develop a sense of relationship within these opportunities from birth.

Diapering and Toileting:
This is often considered a disgusting task. I have a hard time using this as an opportunity for learning because who wants to slow down when It comes to poop? Whether its a newborn having a diaper change or a toddler learning how to use a toilet; learning is happening. Understanding the sequencing of events (knowing there is a specific order) is an important school readiness skill! Did you know they can gain this skill through this routine?!!! Here are some specifics they can learn: rich language as the adult (positively) talks about what has happened and will happen, awareness of certain feelings and specific body signs, trust that their body will be cared for, personal hygiene, lastly, understanding the sequencing of events: first we take our pants off and lastly we wash our hands.
  
Dressing:
From before my children could walk, I begin to guide them in the dressing process. Their drawers are labeled with pictures, so they're involved in picking out and putting away clothes from a very young age. Of course, there is pushback and frustration when an arm won't fit right or a pant leg is stuck under a foot. Learning still occurs within these challenges! So, I prompt with phrases like, "sit down and find your feet first," or "take your shirt off and start over." Its tempting to rush and do it all for them. The learning happens within the process and the end product several weeks or months later is so worth it!

Eating:
Our family values interdependence. Which means, we want our children to gain skills to complete tasks on their own but we know they still require support from a trusting adult. So, I'm actually okay with messy eating (at first anyway). Once they've had practice with utensils and gained awareness of many foods; they're expected to stop eating like an animal. I've learned that giving a child freedom in eating really illuminates meal time struggles. (See my post from November titled Meal Time Woes for more specifics on this topic). There is so much learning in this routine: awareness of textures, food preferences, hunger being satisfied, hand/eye coordination, fine motor skills in handling utensils, and most importantly relationship development around a table of conversation. 

So, when I start thinking "all I do is diaper, toilet and feed my children all day" I will try and remember to be intentional. If this is 80% of their day, I want it to be enjoyable. As I experience these moments in 2017, I will try harder to be intentional in these everyday tasks. May you be able to slow down too and participate in this rich practice. As we prepare our children for the real world, lets be more intentional together in 2017 and the years to come.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story