Restart Activity #1: Quiet Time

As promised I will be writing about how I restart my "system" so I can do my best in the tasks set before me. I'll be doing a few posts on activities that have worked in refreshing my soul! My initial post is titled "New Years Restart." Take a look and keep on visiting! I love hearing comments and encouraging words from you too!!! So, here is my first restart activity:


I'm going to be honest here, in my home with kids "real quiet time" rarely happens...even if I get up early. My kids have this special kid sense that goes like this... "Oh mom is awake, I better start screaming for her now." It doesn't always happen this way, which I'm grateful for. This quiet time for me has molded and changed depending on my stage in life or difficulty of my week. So, let me first explain how this quiet time really becomes a fluid concept for me.


When I refer to quiet time I mainly mean my time when I'm reflecting on, reading about or I'm doing my best to quietly still my mind (even if chaos is around me) and be with the Lord Jesus Christ my Savior! Your quiet time might look different. Maybe its getting up before everyone else and enjoying a quiet cup of coffee or enjoying the stillness of the house after everyone is in bed. What ever it is; make time for it! This also looks different for me from day to day because I have littles. Littles just add a whole new hurdle to quiet time but it also means its that much more important! Each day I try to do my best to get little bits of this quiet time in. This is what it might look like...

A few times a week I'm actually successful pulling myself out of bed before the kids, gathering myself onto the couch and spending peaceful time in prayer. And then sometimes I wake up on the couch 20 minutes later and realize I fell asleep praying. Anyone? If this is you, you're not alone! Don't carry guilt over this guys! Keep pursuing Him! Keep trying! He knows your heart and desires and He gives grace. He gives us His Word as a love letter to us! I love diving in, finding out what it says, what it means and what it means to me specifically.

I'm going to be honest, I don't read my Bible daily. At this stage in my life, I'm giving myself grace in this area. A few times a week my Bible time might look like this: I spend time in the Word when breakfast is done and the Bigs are off to school. Both of my littles (1.5yrs and 3 yrs.) are up and active at this point. I have given them a couple of guidelines while mommy is reading her Bible. 1. They can sit in their own chair next to me. If they sit in my lap it usually ends up with me entertaining them. So, on their own chair they will sit. 2. They can only bring books to the table because toys just end up being too loud. As you see above, someone still has a hard time practicing these guidelines. My goal is to see my children honoring this time that mommy needs and want it for themselves too.

As hard as it sometimes is to accomplish, this quiet time (in each of its many forms) has always been one of the best restart activities for me. Maybe for you its a hike enjoying His creation, listening to a sermon online or looking out your back window. What ever your quiet is, may you find the gift of time so you can be still, restart and accomplish what ever tasks lie ahead with great confidence.


Comments

  1. I love the idea of teaching your littles about honoring God and respecting mommy's quiet time. I need to remind my kids about that too.
    I saw this sign, "in the morning when I rise, give me Jesus. (And coffee)" that will be perfect for my restart activities. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not diligent enough in doing it but as long as we do what we can; the Lord will do the rest for our kids hearts. That sign would be perfect for me too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story