DIY Light Table

I loved my experience as an early childhood educator. I had the privilege of being a school age teacher and an infant and toddler teacher for several years. I also had the opportunity of supporting early childhood programs through our local resource and referral agency. Finally, after receiving my MA in Early Childhood, I was given the chance to be an instructor through The Program For Infant and Toddler Care. However, since 2014, I step away and now carry an important role as a mommy to my four little ones. Until about 6 months ago, I think this part of my life went dormant! I was seriously in survival mode after fostering and adopting from 2014-2016. I'm thrilled about moving forward in my profession as a full time mom!

I love implementing what I've learned in my career and education with my own children. Some of my very best memories in the classroom are the materials that were available to the children. Often times, these pieces are costly. The light tables available were a beautiful addition for extending the learning. I have been wanting to bring that opportunity into our home! After scanning the internet I stumbled upon a few great sites that shared ideas for making your own. Light tables can be pricey so I loved the idea of creating this treasured piece for little or no money!!!

Magblocks Are Illuminated With Our Light Table!

Light tables are a great resource for a variety of explorations! The light can enhance almost any learning material and open up a whole new discovery. The light table can be used in a lighted room but is fully enhanced in a dark space.

Directions For Making a Light Table: Note: I highly encourage you allowing your children to help you make this project! Its so rewarding for a child to use a product they have created!

Supplies:
* A storage container with lid. The bottom or top of the container needs to be clear to allow light through. My storage container had a solid top, so the clear bottom of the container became the top of the table.
* Tape
* Scissors
* Foil
* White tissue paper
* Clear strand of lights (we used white Christmas lights)
* Extension cord
Supplies

Step 1: Cut your tissue paper to size. The tissue paper will be taped to the clear (top or bottom) of your container. This allows for the light to still shine through and blocks to visual of the actual Christmas lights.


Step 2: Cut your foil to fit all four sides of the container as well as the opposite side of where the tissue paper is placed. The foil does double duty by funneling all the light towards the tissue paper as well as reflecting the light that is shining on it.

Tissue Paper and Foil in Place

Step 3: Place your lights. I had to place my lights on the lid because the lid was solid white. I chose to tape my lights in place to allow for an even distribution of light and to keep the lights still if there was table movement. As you place your lights make sure you leave the end of the strand out for plugging into an extension cord!


Step 4: Close up the container being sure you do not crush a light as you close the lid (I almost did).

Step 5: Bring in the product testers!

Here are a list of activity ideas with your light table:

* Tracing
* Illuminating translucent items like (jewels, blocks, legos, marbles)
* Add a new element to painting on paper
* creating shadows with building materials
* shines a whole new light on numbers and letters
* Sand on top with wooden dowels for creating movement
* Add a mirror beside the light table and you create another dimension


A Mirror Doubles The Fun!

HAVE FUN!!! And remember to document the experience! I would love to see your success with this project!




For More Child Development Ideas and Encouragement Be Sure To Subscribe!

To subscribe: Click "Subscribe" on my Home page. Fill in your info and wait for an email from "Feed Burner" to confirm your subscription.

Thanks For Stopping By!

Instagram: @at_home_with_dot

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story