DIY Outdoor Play Kitchen


While making play dough as a kid, I remember my mom having us put all the ingredients together and then she would cook it over the stove top. I can still recall that unique smell and the way the play dough felt so warm on your hands when you pulled it out of the pot. Then watching the food coloring move through the dough as I kneaded it was like magic. There is something about the smells and textures within a sensory activity that engrains the experience in your memory.

I want my own children to have similar memories that stay with them through adulthood. This brings me to one reason why I created an outdoor play kitchen for our kids two years ago. I want my children to have memories of playing and exploration as researchers, testers, builders, risk players, explorers, adventurers, creative thinkers, and curious scientists. I love bringing the kids outdoors (or really its "kicking" them outdoors because they're running around like mad in the house). So, I wanted to provide a space that would encourage intentional exploration of the treasury of dirt we have! I wanted to make an outdoor play kitchen! Really all you need is dirt and willing hands but I decided to use items I was saving (hording) to support this space. Take a look...


Making Our Outdoor Play Kitchen:

Step 1: Pick a "platform": This platform will be used for the children's creations. The children need a space that they can place their creations on. This gives them a sense that their work is honored and important. This can be as simple as an old box, picnic table or bench. I started with a head and foot board to an old bed. You know how communities have clean up days when you can place all your trash on the curb for pick up? Yeah...that's how I scored this old bed...picking through someone's trash!!!

Step 2: Build It: Here is where creativity needs to come in! Ask yourself, how can I use what I already have to build this space? What wood do I have available? Do I have access to pallets? Is someone getting rid of an old picnic table? Can I bring on old "inside" play kitchen outside? In my case, I took the old bed I had and cut the footboard in half with a circular saw and used one on each side to support the platform. Using several wood screws, I attached each side to the front of the headboard. Next I used the side of an old crib for the table top. Remember when the big crib recall happened and churches and child care programs had to remove all their drop side cribs? Well I scored two cribs during that time and I've since upcycled pieces of them! I placed extra floor tiles we had in the garage over the crib slats. You can also find fabulous material at places like Habitat For Humanity Restore Shops.


Step 3: Gather "Cooking" Materials: Here you simply collect items that can be used for digging and collecting treasures. You can use sand toys, cooking utensils you no longer use, Goodwill items or gardening tools. My only trouble in this area are plastic pieces being destroyed by our dog. So, if you have a dog just be sure all plastic items are put away when the kitchen is closed.




There are so many benefits to providing a sensory space like this for children. Joining into the experience as adults can be very therapeutic too!!! For more ideas on how we use this space see: Curriculum: The Project Appoach. Here is a summary of our outdoor space activities.

Documenting:
Introducing the idea of documenting to little cones can add several new elements to their explorations: Novel writing ideas, increased observations skills, new vocabulary, and intentionality! Suggested material: clipboards, paper, pens and an intriguing atmosphere.

Creating Masterpieces:
A space like this truly sparks imagination. The other day my daughter decided to make a Chinese pie called Kadreplur. All her words, all her imagination.

Taking "Indoor" Toys Outside:
There are so many benefits to bringing traditional "inside" toys outside. There are outdoor elements (like dirt) that are typically not available inside. These elements encourage a whole different way of exploring!



We can all benefit from playing like a child from time to time. I know it has energized me on days when I feel there is nothing left to give. The Lord has more for us. More then just cleaning, diapering, disciplining and cooking. His desire for us is to have His joy. No, we won't always be happy but we can choose joy! His joy!!! "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete" John 15:11. I think one of the best ways to pursuing that joy is allowing time for play and exploration with our kids! So, may you feel Christ giving you His joy that overflows as you engage with your kids, make messes and explore like your young again!








Comments

  1. I love this idea! My city kid could definitely use some time playing in the dirt :) The upcycling you did to create such a cool kitchen is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet words Cara! Thank you! Yes she would for sure benefit from dirt play! The best part is you can make it simple with just a couple empty containers and a handful of moist dirt! I saw one program just inviting the kids to play with dirt on trays with a few scooping items! So simple!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We are loving this space! Thank you for stopping by!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story