Curriculum: The Project Approach


When I was in a classroom setting, we referred to our curriculum as a "Plan of Possibilities". We would make a simple list of activity ideas spurred on by our knowledge of infants and toddlers as well as our classroom observations. Our observations would guide our curriculum into a project with the children. This process is called The Project Approach and is an in-depth study of a real life topic

The Project Approach usually unfolds naturally with the child leading and the facilitator (adult) adjusting the environment to meet the needs of the project. The Project Approach takes a topic that children are interested in and weaves it into the curriculum. This process goes in phases and is unique to the individuals and setting that it occurs. In order to understand this process better, I'm delighted to share with you how our most recent project unfolded with my kids at home. Each phase will take different lengths of time as you move according to the child's pace and interest. These are the phases our project followed:



Phase One: Observe
Be alert to the child or children's interests. Sometimes this takes time and waiting as you observe what would captivate the children. Projects can also stem from the current atmosphere in the learning environment. Maybe children are struggling with being gentle or having a difficult time
separating from the parents. You can use these situations to facilitate a learning opportunity. There was an atmosphere in my home that created great frustration for me. I kept observing my kids eating and throwing dirt on themselves. The way they chose to explore the dirt was REALLY exhausting as it increased bath and laundry daily!! I wanted to give them freedom to explore but with a different intention and purpose. I wanted to create an environment that encouraged them to continue in their dirt obsession but with a different format. We've had an outdoor kitchen for three years but once we added two new babies to our family through adoption in 2015; things went dormant. This dormancy included the outdoor play kitchen. Our little ones were never introduced to it and rarely saw the older children using it. I decided our project would start by introducing our outdoor kitchen.

Phase Two: Research
Focus on a research question. The research question or questions can come from the teacher or the children. As children get older they can contribute questions based on what they want to know regarding this particular subject. In our case, the research question came from me: "how will the children explore dirt in a structured environment like an outdoor play kitchen?" There can be more than one research question and these can be added as you make progress in your project.


Phase Three: Brainstorm
Brainstorm with the children or ask questions before you officially begin your project. This will give you an idea of what the children already know about this topic. For children that are not verbal yet; make notes based on previous observations about how you perceive they view this topic or subject. They may not answer but they will become accustomed to this process and familiar with this practice. For example, here are some questions my 3 year old could relate to:

Mom: "Tell me about worms"
B - 3yrs: "They black"
M: "tell me more"
B: "they black, they black, they black."
M: "where are the worms?"
B : "in mud. "
M: "what do worms do?"
B:"They wiggle like this" He shook his hips from side to side
M: "What do you do with the worms."
B: "I put them in the home and they wiggle"

Phase Four: Implement
Implementing your ideas may take some planning that includes setting up an environment, purchasing supplies or scheduling a field trip. For our project it required some clean up. The table top of our outdoor kitchen was no longer sturdy and our kitchen supplies were in random places throughout the yard. I had the kids help me fix up our outdoor kitchen so they could "own" this project too. After a little TLC, our outdoor play kitchen looked fabulous!


Once it was finished, I started digging in the dirt and filling containers. At first the little ones looked at me before they started digging in. In the past I had shown frustration at their dirt explorations and now I was encouraging it. It didn't take long for them to join in. Our first discovery was a worm and then another and another! As your implementation unfolds; you'll quickly discover you're in the observation phase again. It becomes a repeated process: observing - questioning - brainstorming - implementing! For example, here are some conversations from our first introduction to the outdoor kitchen:

Mom: "where is the worm's home?"
B: (3 yr) "I going to show you..." he walked me over to the dirt "right there, he going bye bye."
Mom: "where is he going?"
He: "He home"

Mom: "What do worms do in the dirt?"
M - 2 yrs old: "um, bye bye."

The Project Continues:
A project can last as long as the children are interested and as long as the facilitator has time and energy to help move it along. If the children are older, amazing learning can happen as they take charge of the entire process. As our project has continued I implemented the following to bring the exploration further:

We Took A Field trip:
The knowledge a book can bring to a topic is priceless! I usually include a trip to the library to extend our learning. On this trip we checked out books about worms! I chose books on worms because the little ones continually looked for them in the dirt near the play kitchen. I'm always amazed at the knowledge I gain when I do projects with children. Did you know a worm has two stomachs and five hearts?! Confession: I only brought my 7 and 9 year old to the library on this trip. I didn't have the energy to follow a two and three year old around the library this week. However, they did benefit from the books when we brought them home.


I Suggested A New Element:
Water is a great element to add to most projects. The rain was frequent when we first started our project but then the soil started drying up. The little ones couldn't find the worms as easily. My three year old and I had this discussion as I tried to support him in brainstorming how to get the soil wet again.

Mom: The soil is really dry and worms don't like dry soil. What should we do?
B - 3 yrs old: "Hide" (I'm not sure he was understanding my questions so I continued rephrasing my questions until he came to a solution)
M: Worms like wet dirt, how do we make the dirt wet?
B: "It raining." (he was starting to understand)
M: Yes, right! The rain is water and it will make the dirt wet. Its not raining now. What do we need to do to get the dirt wet?"
B: "pecause" (I think I lost him with my very long question. So, I simplified my words even more)
M: "Where can we get water to make the dirt wet?"
B: Walked me over to the hose and pointed.
M: "Yes, water comes out of the _____ (I left off this word to see if he would know it)
B: "hose"


I Added Documentation Material:
Documenting is an important step for the facilitator. You can document through photos or transcribe their words and behaviors. However, adding materials to the child's environment so they can document is a wonderful gift! For our project I simply placed blank paper, clipboards and pens in our outdoor kitchen. This was their first experience documenting their observations. So, I took the lead briefly and started drawing and explained verbally what I was drawing.


Outcomes: Phase 5
Typically as your project ends there is a concluding piece. It might climax with a presentation to parents of the program or a picture display showing the process. Lets refer back to my research question: "how will the children explore dirt in a structured environment like an outdoor play kitchen?" I’m excited to share that the children have stopped throwing the dirt and have been intentional about searching for worms instead! Our project will continue because the children are still interested. The outdoor kitchen is their first stop upon entering the backyard!

Here are more outcomes:
* new vocabulary: castings, loosen (the dirt), soil,
* new concepts: understanding "how" questions, wet vs. dry soil

Tips:
Go Slow:
Remember the questions and content will be novel to them. Try rephrasing questions in different ways to encourage their understanding. Revisit the same ideas and activities over and over again. Repetition will increase knowledge.

Be Flexible:
Don't be discouraged if it doesn't go the way you thought. Keep in mind each step of the way with little ones will take time as you introduce each new concept. Each provocation (or idea) may only capture the child's attention for 5 to 10 minutes at the most. If an idea you implement does not work, move on. Simply continue to observe the children in their natural environment and new ideas will emerge!

Do What Works For You:
Remember "The Plan of Possibilities" I mentioned at the beginning of this post? That's exactly what curriculum planning is for infants and toddlers; possibilities. Possibilities that might happen, possibilities that might go wrong, possibilities that might work better next time. Today, I am thrilled to practice The Project Approach along with many other ideas I've gained through my experience in the Early Childhood Field.

Up until recently it took all of my energy just to pull out a book and spend time reading with my kids. That was my best in the phase of life I was going through. I was overwhelmed with the moments and days of motherhood and that's all I had to give (read more about that struggle here). Dear reader, if this is you right now take heart! Do your best and just keep pulling out that book or sitting beside your child as they watch their favorite show. Being present with your children, even if you're weary, is a gift you are giving. Each of us has unique gifts we give our children (blog post coming soon about that). Confession: as I finish writing this I'm hiding while my 3 yr. old works his way through a tantrum.

May you enjoy right where you're at, feel His grace bringing you into parenting and be challenged to do your best each day for Him.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story