An ADHD Diagnosis AND The Ultimate Answer




We have a rocking chair that sits right next to our piano. For a while, it moved back and forth between our kids' rooms. However, night time rocking soon became obsolete but I still couldn't bare to pass it on yet. So, for the last couple of years, it has been in our front room. It is the perfect therapy tool and I still rock three of our four babes here. One particular morning, as with many mornings, our 6 year old was struggling with before school tasks. With lunch items, clothes and shoes in place, I try an minimize morning chaos. Even so, this particular morning brought a refusal to put on shoes, hurtful words screamed from his room and no time to finish breakfast.

About one year ago we began to realize our little guy needed more than what we were providing. So, we began the long process of Dr. visits, referral waits and psychological evaluations. At the end of a three month process, Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) was diagnosed and medication started. Medication certainly hasn't solved all his struggles. However, its been one necessary tool he's needed in creating positive relationships, focused attention at school and the ability to complete tasks. In this year I've learned a lot. I'm not an expert in ADHD but I've done my best to become an expert in my son with ADHD.


Much can be gleaned from books or people you talk with about this learning disability. However, the onslaught of information and well-meaning advice can be very overwhelming. As a Christian mom to my precious son, I have been challenged during this time to simply go to THE BOOK...to remind myself of verses like, "I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 As we search answers to support our son, we must remember this truth: he is fearfully and wonderfully created by our heavenly Father. Another verse the Lord brought to my heart: "Martha, Martha, the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed - or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her." Luke 10:41-42. So, the question I need to be asking myself is, "does my drive to research the reasons around my son's behavior and diagnosis supersede The One thing that is needed?" 

The Lord is still glorified through all the weaknesses of unanswered questions and untamed behavior. As we guide and discipline our little guy, the Lord is using this situation to glorify Himself by filtering out the impurities in our lives and molding our hearts to His. When I focus on finding the answer and reasons behind all of our son's behaviors, I must also recognize it can take my eyes off of the Lord. THE ONE thing that is needed. 



During this difficult morning of refusals and hurtful words from the mouth of my babe, I gathered him into my arms and to that rocking chair in our front room. On this occasion, he melted into my arms and we rocked in silence. As we rocked, I was reminded that some answers are simple. A moment in the rocking chair together is all he needed here.  As our youngest creeps towards five years old, I know the rocking chair won't be needed in our home much longer. While I still can, I'll use that chair as a space to pull us together. As you muddle through your own parenting situations, may you know He has a space for your questions and He is the ultimate answer.  

Click the links below for more related posts: 

Sensory Therapy

Love Heals: Bonding With Our Adopted Son

Parenting the Broken 


Support for the Active Child 

A Child's Attention Span
__________________________________________________________________________


Sharing The Joys Of Childhood To Inspire The Fun In parenting


Instagram: @home_with_dot
   Facebook: homewithdot     




To subscribe: Click "Subscribe" on my Home page. Fill in your info and wait for an email from "Feed Burner" to confirm your subscription. 

Thanks For Stopping By!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story