My Heart NOT My Home

Letting The Dust Settle
With the holidays here, I often stress and worry about the condition of my home...especially if we're hosting family and friends. "My house isn't clean enough", "my decorations are old", "I need new towels", "look at all the dust", or "her house is always clean." Do I think about the condition of my heart in the same way? Do you place even more importance on your heart then on your home?

This is certainly a struggle for me. I enjoy a clean space, no chaos and an empty sink. Reality check...I live with 5 other people. These 5 individuals are what bring life to my home, not how clean it is. During this time of year and all year, let's look to the individuals in our lives and what they might need.

This season is a time of joy and excitement but not for everyone. For some it's a time of pain, remembering a hurtful past, the loss of a loved one or searching for acceptance. These individuals don't need a perfect home to meet in. Their hearts need another heart to wrap around them and an atmosphere that says you are wanted and accepted. 

"Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart" Psalms 37:3-4. My desire is to have the heart the Lord would want me to have. So this season, I will look at the condition of my heart more then the condition of my home. And the dust I need to clear off is within my own busy life so I have more time for others then a dust free home. The load I'll try to be more concerned about is the heavy load my loved ones might be carrying around. 

Happy holidays everyone! Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas! May you all be able to enjoy this season with those around you, let the dust settle, the laundry sit, the dishes fill the sink and your heart be what creates the atmosphere in your home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story