The Beautiful and Ugly of Adoption


Our family was given the opportunity and gift to adopt our foster son in July of 2015 and his sister in November 2015. God was the one who designed this opportunity for us. This is something we often lose sight of. 

When we were first considering adoption I pictured this beautiful opportunity to swoop in and provide a family for a needy child. This certainly is beautiful and we did provide a family but I was losing sight of why we were called to this. It isn't about us and what we can do. It's about Christ and what He did for us. We were given the opportunity to demonstrate that kind of love (in our human imperfections) to this world for His children. Deut. 10:18 says "He executes justice for the orphan and the widow..." HE DOES IT!!! 

Now here we are over a year after our two adoptions and I sometimes struggle to see this as beautiful. I lose sight of it and struggle in guilt. Guilt that there is all this ugly in what I thought was suppose to be all beautiful. The fact is, my husband and I are human! We struggled with bonding with our adopted son, discipline, juggling four kids and finding a new balance for our relationship as a couple. That last one has been the hardest. It has been a HUGE struggle trying to keep our marriage relationship strong. The last couple of years have been the hardest for us. (See Keeping Your Marriage a Priority) Despite all this, I have come to know that adoption is beautiful AND ugly. I never fully understood this until now. 



I'm understanding now more than ever that our own adoptions are both beautiful and ugly. Look at what God did for us! He did the ugly when He put HIS ONLY PERFECT SON ON THE CROSS. It was ugly because it was our sin that put Him their. He was accused, beaten, stretched out for us in all His perfect. He did the beautiful when through His Son we were adopted!!!! Ephesians 1:5 says "God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure." So much beauty.

My husband and I are His imperfect vessels doing His work through adoption. (See Our Adoption Story) I am so grateful (even though I don't always show it) and I need His grace more than ever. May you know this adoption through Christ and experience both the beauty and ugly of this wonderful gift He has given.

                                 
                                       You can also find me on Instagram: @home_with_dot




Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this truth my friend. I am grateful for Jesus that took take care of my ugliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my words! Jesus covers it all! Praise Him!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord's Plan For A Stay At Home Mom

Through Your Child's Eyes

Our Adoption Story